Barry House on Riverton
To the Manor born
Step into a bygone era and experience the charm of Barry House on Riverton, the original homestead on Riverton thoroughbred horse stud and wine farm near Robertson in the Western Cape. The manor has been lovingly restored to its former glory whilst retaining its warm, welcoming ambiance.
Country Life magazine voted Barry House on Riverton as one of the best 3 farm stays in South Africa in their May 2014 issue!
4 Star Exclusive S/C
Barry House on Riverton is a 4 star exclusive self-catering home for the exclusive use of one booking party at a time. Sleeps 12 (maximum 14) people in 6 bedrooms sharing 4 bathrooms. No dogs, cats or pets allowed.
Ideally located near the top wine estates (between Springfield and Bon Courage) and 6 km from the restaurants in Robertson.
The Breede River runs through the farm for a spot of fishing or swimming.
Unlimited free Wifi
Braai (BBQ) wood
DSTV in the Family room –
no card required
For your convenience
Dressing gowns (should you make use of these please leave them over the bath for housekeeping to launder)
Safe in each bedroom
Housekeeping an option by prior arrangement.
You will receive a tax invoice with banking details.
We require a 50% deposit payable within 5 days of booking to confirm a reservation. The balance is payable 2 weeks before arrival.
We do not have credit card facilities on the farm. You are welcome to pay via EFT or SnapScan. Our international guests can request a PayPal invoice.
Foaling Season from August to mid-November
One of the few places in the world where guests may have the opportunity to see a foaling!
There are no guarantees, but many of our guests have been fortunate to witness a mare give birth. Mares tend to foal between midnight and 5am. Guests are welcome to leave a mobile number for a wakeup call. Have your jacket & boots ready as it can happen within 10 minutes!
Please whisper so as not to distract the mare. The foaling units are conveniently situated adjacent to Barry House.
Barry House on Riverton offers
Our 4 star exclusive self-catering guest house carries the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa’s seal of approval to offer you peace of mind.
The wild unpredictability of travel is what makes it so exciting! However, when it comes to accommodation it is comforting to know exactly what is on offer:
- 6 Bedrooms sharing 4 bathrooms – sleeps 10 to 14 – For example 4 couples and 5 children with a 6th child sleeping in a room with it’s parents (also a camper cot available for an infant). See our Rooms page for further details.
- Dining room with open fireplace – table seats 12 to 14
- Fully equipped Kitchen with reverse osmosis drinking water spout, gas oven & hob, electric oven & hob, microwave, fridge, blender, coffee machine and dishwasher
- Ironing room adjacent to the kitchen with a fridge/freezer
- Breakfast room also adjacent to the kitchen – seats 4 – 6
- Family/TV lounge with full DSTV, table tennis, board games, beverage fridge/ice freezer, open fireplace and air conditioner
- Sitting room with panel heater in the heart of the home
- Sun room to relax with a book from the house library on a chilly day
- Study to indulge in the ancient art of letter writing or park your laptop (fax only available by special request in the farm office)
- Outdoor seating on the Veranda to enjoy the stunning views
- Large English country Garden filled with the scent of roses
- Safe Parking available in the shade of the old Algerian oak trees in front of Barry House
- Portable Braai (BBQ) with wood provided
- Free unlimited WIFI for liking our Barry House on Riverton Facebook page
Guests are welcome to walk around the farm at leisure. However our horses are not tame ponies and young children must be accompanied by an adult.
OPTIONAL: Housekeeping can be arranged on request at least 3 days prior to arrival. The housekeeper will come in at 8:45am and again at 3:30pm and can be paid directly. We recommend a minimum of R130 per day.
Massage Option at Barry House
Jackie and Liz are available to come to Barry House to treat you and your guests to a full body massage, or a ‘specific problem area’.
They offer a number of styles at R650.00 for 1 hour: Swedish, Deep Tissue, Trigger Point, Sports, Combination. Groups of more than 5, the rate is discounted to R600.00 per person. They can do single, couples and group massage treatments all in the comfort of your room, the family room or under the trees in the garden for a unique experience! They provide massage beds, oils and towels.
Contact Jackie Bond via email firstname.lastname@example.org or cell +27 (0)82 956 7830 to book.
Iona of Feet First is available by appointment to come to Barry House on Riverton to pamper and treat your feet. (Only available after 11am on a Sunday)
Contact Iona Palmer via email email@example.com or cell +27 (0)812 703 703
No need to designate a driver. Phone Johan Smit Charter Services on 082 666 9884 to book a bus to take your party wine tasting – local wine estates of your choice. His rates are very reasonable and he will wait whilst you have lunch.
Best to book this activity for Saturday morning or midweek as many of the wineries are closed on Saturday afternoon and Sundays.
We do not have riding horses on our farm. However, the Robertson Riding School is 4 farms away. They offer outrides through the vines and along the Breede River, ponie rides and wine tasting carriage rides. Riding helmets are available should you not have your own. Contact them directly on +27 (0)82 402 7088 or +27 (0)72 291 7631 to book or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Book Barry House on Riverton Today!
Our Stay for 2 nights and pay for one* weekend specials are very popular.
Our special rates have been preloaded onto our online booking system.
Please book 3 to 4 months in advance to avoid disappointment.
* Our stay for 2 nights and pay for one weekend specials are not applicable to long weekends, public holidays and local festival weekends.
No dogs, cats or other pets allowed.