Barry House on Riverton
To the Manor born
Step into a bygone era and experience the charm of Barry House on Riverton, the original homestead on Riverton thoroughbred horse stud and wine farm near Robertson in the Western Cape. The manor has been lovingly restored to its former glory whilst retaining its warm, welcoming ambiance.
Country Life magazine voted Barry House on Riverton as one of the best 3 farm stays in South Africa in their May 2014 issue!
Barry House on Riverton – recommended BirdLife South Africa Accommodation!
4 Star Exclusive S/C
Barry House on Riverton is a 4 star exclusive self-catering home for the exclusive use of one booking party at a time. Sleeps 12 (maximum 14) people in 4 en-suite bedrooms, and 1 twin bedroom and 1 child or couple bedroom sharing a shower. No dogs, cats or pets allowed.
Ideally located near the top wine estates (between Springfield and Bon Courage) and 6 km from the restaurants in Robertson.
The Breede River runs through the farm for a spot of birding, fishing or swimming.
Unlimited free Wifi
Braai (BBQ) wood
DSTV in the Family room –
no card required
For your convenience
Dressing gowns (should you make use of these please leave them over the bath for housekeeping to launder)
Safe in each bedroom
Housekeeping is optional
You will receive a tax invoice with banking details.
We require a 50% deposit payable within 5 days of booking to confirm a reservation. The balance is payable 2 weeks before arrival.
We do not have credit card facilities on the farm. You are welcome to pay via EFT or SnapScan. Our international guests can request a PayPal invoice or pay via our SWIFT code.
Safe Getaway – our Health protocols
We disinfectant with a safe Fogger to sanitise the guest house after every stay.
Whilst we fog and routinely maintain a high standard of hygiene, particular attention is paid to dedicated disinfecting of frequently used surfaces like door knobs, light switches, kettles, ovens, the TV remote, taps, 3D tiles, toilet seats and handles, etc.
Foaling Season from August to mid-November
One of the few places in the world where guests may have the opportunity to see a foaling!
There are no guarantees, but many of our guests have been fortunate to witness a mare give birth. Mares tend to foal between midnight and 5am. Guests are welcome to leave a mobile number for a wakeup call. Have your jacket & boots ready as it can happen within 10 minutes!
Please whisper so as not to distract the mare. The foaling units are conveniently situated adjacent to Barry House.
Barry House on Riverton offers
Our 4 star exclusive self-catering guest house carries the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa’s seal of approval to offer you peace of mind.
LOADSHEDDING – ROBERTSON AND OUR FARM FALL UNDER ASHTON BLOCK 3
There is an inverter & battery system coupled to solar panels to keep the TV, WiFi, fridges, veranda fans and some of the lights on!
Note: Shower or bath outside of loadshedding times as the pumps draw too much power on start up to connect them.
Please switch the climate control air conditioners OFF BEFORE LOADSHEDDING – they also draw too much power on start up and can trip the house.
The wild unpredictability of travel is what makes it so exciting! However, when it comes to accommodation it is comforting to know exactly what is on offer:
- 6 Bedrooms; there are 4 en-suite bedrooms and 2 bedrooms that are ideal for children as they share a shower. Sleeps 12 (max 14). For example 3 couples and 6 children / singles. Two of the en-suite bedrooms have a day bed each that can be made up to accommodate an additional 2 children. There is also a camper cot available for an infant or toddler. See our Rooms page for further details and a floor plan of the house.
- Dining room with open fireplace – table seats 12 to 14
- Fully equipped Kitchen with reverse osmosis drinking water spout, Smeg gas oven & hob, electric oven & hob, microwave, fridge, blender, coffee machine and dishwasher
- Ironing room adjacent to the kitchen with a fridge/freezer
- Breakfast room also adjacent to the kitchen – seats 4 – 6
- Family/TV lounge with full DSTV, table tennis, board games, beverage fridge/ice freezer, open fireplace and air conditioner
- Sitting room with panel heater in the heart of the home with a quite corner to relax
- Sun room to relax with a book from the house library on a chilly day
- Study to indulge in the ancient art of letter writing or park your laptop
- Outdoor seating on the Veranda to enjoy the stunning views under the fans to keep you cool in summer and the flies away.
- Large English country Garden filled with the scent of roses, a Victorian gazebo for a spot of tea and a jungle gym
- Safe Parking available in the shade of the old Algerian oak trees in front of Barry House or around the corner should you want an uninterrupted view of the horse paddocks.
- Built in outdoor Braai (BBQ) with half moon seating. We provide the wood. The area is lit by a solar flood light to keep the braai going all night!
- Free unlimited WIFI for liking our Barry House on Riverton Facebook page
Guests are welcome to walk around the farm at leisure. However our horses are not tame ponies and young children must be accompanied by an adult.
The Breede river for fishing and swimming is a 10 minute stroll away.
OPTIONAL: Housekeeping can be arranged on request at least 3 days prior to arrival. The housekeeper will come in at 8:45am and you can ask her to return at 3:30pm should you wish. The housekeeper can be paid directly. We recommend a minimum of R180 per morning.
To gain a good idea of the charming accommodation that awaits you, enjoy the Barry House on Riverton video below:
Wine Tasting by Charter Bus
No need to designate a driver!
Book a charter bus to take your party wine tasting – local wine estates of your choice.
The rates are very reasonable and your driver will wait whilst you have lunch.
Best to book this activity for Saturday morning or midweek as many of the wineries are closed on Saturday afternoon and Sundays.
Photo on the right: the Charter Bus disappearing down our farm road in front of Barry House on Riverton.
Contact: Johan Smit Charter Services on +27 (0)82 666 9884
Wine Valley Safari
Wine Valley Safari are a leading wine tour operator, offering unique and personalised wine tours showcasing the best local vineyards and wine estates in the beautiful regions of Robertson and Montagu.
Wine Valley Safari tours are designed to cater to all types of wine lovers, and guests will be spoiled for choice, from MCC-, craft beer, whiskey, gin, grappa- and olive tastings to food and wine pairings, a lavender farming tour, a river cruise, cellar tours, and fantastic lunch spots.
Contact: (+27) 081 74 00 145 or e-mail: email@example.com
Horse Riding @ Robertson Horse Riding Adventures
We do not have riding horses on our farm.
However, Robertson Horse Adventures is only four farms away! You can book outrides through the vineyards and along the banks of the Breede River or wine tasting carriage rides with them.
Bookings can be made via their website.
For enquiries email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or phone Wilke Strydom +27(0)82 963 8976.
Riding helmets are available should you not have your own.
Book Barry House on Riverton Today!
Our Stay for 2 nights and pay for one* weekend specials are very popular.
Our special rates have been preloaded onto our online booking system.
Please book 3 months in advance to avoid disappointment.
* Our stay for 2 nights and pay for one weekend specials are not applicable to long weekends, public holidays and local festival weekends.
No dogs, cats or other pets allowed.