Barry House on Riverton
To the Manor born
Step into a bygone era and experience the charm of Barry House on Riverton, the original homestead on Riverton thoroughbred horse stud and wine farm near Robertson in the Western Cape. The manor has been lovingly restored to its former glory whilst retaining its warm, welcoming ambiance.
Country Life magazine voted Barry House on Riverton as one of the best 3 farm stays in South Africa in their May 2014 issue!
4 Star Exclusive S/C
Barry House on Riverton is a 4 star exclusive self-catering home for the exclusive use of one booking party at a time. Sleeps 12 (maximum 14) people in 4 en-suite bedrooms, and 1 twin bedroom and 1 child or couple bedroom sharing a shower. No dogs, cats or pets allowed.
Ideally located near the top wine estates (between Springfield and Bon Courage) and 6 km from the restaurants in Robertson.
The Breede River runs through the farm for a spot of fishing or swimming.
Unlimited free Wifi
Braai (BBQ) wood
DSTV in the Family room –
no card required
For your convenience
Dressing gowns (should you make use of these please leave them over the bath for housekeeping to launder)
Safe in each bedroom
Housekeeping is optional
You will receive a tax invoice with banking details.
We require a 50% deposit payable within 5 days of booking to confirm a reservation. The balance is payable 2 weeks before arrival.
We do not have credit card facilities on the farm. You are welcome to pay via EFT or SnapScan. Our international guests can request a PayPal invoice or pay via our SWIFT code.
Safe Getaway – our Covid19 protocols
We have invested in a disinfectant Fogger to sanitise the guest house.
- Late departures on a Sunday are thus part of our weekend packages again.
- Whilst we fog and routinely maintain a high standard of hygiene, particular attention will still be paid to dedicated disinfecting of frequently used surfaces like door knobs, light switches, kettles, ovens, the TV remote, taps, 3D tiles, toilet seats and handles, etc.
Peace of mind policy
We fully understand the hesitation many people may feel at the moment when deciding whether to book a getaway.
As such we have amended our last minute cancellation policy till end February 2022 to offer you the option of changing your getaway to no additional cost should this become necessary. A voucher valid till Feb 2024 can be issued should you not have specific dates in mind.
Further details on our Accommodation page.
Foaling Season from August to mid-November
One of the few places in the world where guests may have the opportunity to see a foaling!
There are no guarantees, but many of our guests have been fortunate to witness a mare give birth. Mares tend to foal between midnight and 5am. Guests are welcome to leave a mobile number for a wakeup call. Have your jacket & boots ready as it can happen within 10 minutes!
Please whisper so as not to distract the mare. The foaling units are conveniently situated adjacent to Barry House.
Barry House on Riverton offers
Our 4 star exclusive self-catering guest house carries the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa’s seal of approval to offer you peace of mind.
The wild unpredictability of travel is what makes it so exciting! However, when it comes to accommodation it is comforting to know exactly what is on offer:
- 6 Bedrooms; there are 4 en-suite bedrooms and 2 bedrooms that are ideal for children as they share a shower. Sleeps 12 (max 14). For example 3 couples and 6 children / singles. Two of the en-suite bedrooms have a day bed each that can be made up to accommodate an additional 2 children. There is also a camper cot available for an infant or toddler. See our Rooms page for further details and a floor plan of the house.
- Dining room with open fireplace – table seats 12 to 14
- Fully equipped Kitchen with reverse osmosis drinking water spout, Smeg gas oven & hob, electric oven & hob, microwave, fridge, blender, coffee machine and dishwasher
- Ironing room adjacent to the kitchen with a fridge/freezer
- Breakfast room also adjacent to the kitchen – seats 4 – 6
- Family/TV lounge with full DSTV, table tennis, board games, beverage fridge/ice freezer, open fireplace and air conditioner
- Sitting room with panel heater in the heart of the home with a quite corner to relax
- Sun room to relax with a book from the house library on a chilly day
- Study to indulge in the ancient art of letter writing or park your laptop
- Outdoor seating on the Veranda to enjoy the stunning views under the fans to keep you cool in summer and the flies away.
- Large English country Garden filled with the scent of roses, a Victorian gazebo for a spot of tea and a jungle gym
- Safe Parking available in the shade of the old Algerian oak trees in front of Barry House or around the corner should you want an uninterrupted view of the horse paddocks.
- Built in outdoor Braai (BBQ) with half moon seating. We provide the wood
- Free unlimited WIFI for liking our Barry House on Riverton Facebook page
Guests are welcome to walk around the farm at leisure. However our horses are not tame ponies and young children must be accompanied by an adult.
The Breede river for fishing and swimming is a 10 minute stroll away.
OPTIONAL: Housekeeping can be arranged on request at least 3 days prior to arrival. The housekeeper will come in at 8:45am and you can ask her to return at 3:30pm should you wish. The housekeeper can be paid directly. We recommend a minimum of R150 per day.
To gain a good idea of the charming accommodation that awaits you, enjoy the Barry House on Riverton video below:
Massage Option at Barry House
Jackie and Liz are available to come to Barry House to treat you and your guests to a full body massage, or a ‘specific problem area’.
They offer a number of styles at R650.00 for 1 hour: Swedish, Deep Tissue, Trigger Point, Sports, Combination. They offer single, couples and group massage treatments all in the comfort of your room, the family room or under the trees in the garden for a unique experience! They provide massage beds, oils and towels.
Contact Jackie Bond via email firstname.lastname@example.org or cell +27 (0)82 956 7830 to book.
Wine Tasting by Charter Bus
No need to designate a driver!
Book a charter bus to take your party wine tasting – local wine estates of your choice.
The rates are very reasonable and your driver will wait whilst you have lunch.
Best to book this activity for Saturday morning or midweek as many of the wineries are closed on Saturday afternoon and Sundays.
Photo on the right: the Charter Bus disappearing down our farm road in front of Barry House on Riverton.
Contact: Johan Smit Charter Services on +27 (0)82 666 9884
Wine Tasting @ Accommodation
Leonie Wine & Tours brings the Tasting Room to you!
Book your evening for Leonie to present wine from 3 local wine producers in the comfort of Barry House on Riverton or Wine Down Cottage.
She will talk about the grape variety, its origin, the common characteristics that are related to the grape variety, winemaking, the tasting process (swirl, smell and sip) and food pairing suggestions. The evening concludes with an open discussion where you can raise any questions that you may have.
Leonie Cronje is a qualified Level 1 Junior Sommelier and a registered Provincial Tourist Guide with experience and the inside track of the wine industry. Serving and storing temperatures will also be recommended as well as the correct manner of opening and pouring- a Real Informative and fun-filled evening!
Groups: R150 pp Couples: R200 pp
Contact no: Leonie Cronje on +28 (0)78 246 7015
Website: Leonie Wine & Tours
Horse Riding @ Robertson Riding School
We do not have riding horses on our farm.
However, the Robertson Riding School is only four farms away!
You can book outrides through the vineyards and along the banks of the Breede River or wine tasting carriage rides with them. Riding helmets are available should you not have your own.
Bookings can be made via their website: Robertson Riding School
For enquiries e-mail: email@example.com or phone +27(0)82 496 1216.
Book Barry House on Riverton Today!
Our Stay for 2 nights and pay for one* weekend specials are very popular.
Our special rates have been preloaded onto our online booking system.
Please book 3 months in advance to avoid disappointment.
* Our stay for 2 nights and pay for one weekend specials are not applicable to long weekends, public holidays and local festival weekends.
No dogs, cats or other pets allowed.